Garmin Connect Switch to Bing Maps

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Facebook is fast becoming the voiceless outlet of the people, isn't it? Instead of joining this group, I went out to the street and pulled up a manhole cover and yelled down how much I didn't like the new maps. After that, I wrote a note, set it on fire, and did an ancient Sioux dance around the small fire. I think all 3 of these actions probably carry as much weight in getting Google maps back. I may be cynical.

rlb

Facebook is fast becoming the voiceless outlet of the people, isn't it?

I had very similar thoughts, though I lack the creative imagination to express them in a way as interesting as you did. Thanks!

gtluke

The Moped
I'm surprised how much faster the bing maps are than google maps. Zooming in and out is lightning fast.
As long as they keep supporting kml and gpx I'm okay with whatever they put on their free website.

Glancing Aft

I'm surprised how much faster the bing maps are than google maps. Zooming in and out is lightning fast.

That's a joke right? I use google and bing* extensively for work purposes on windows 7 and XP Machines, and an OS X Machine at home. The fluidity and the refresh rate of Bing is horrid in comparison. Transferring bing to garmin connect makes navigating in explore mode terrible. The lack of having a terrain map or any topographical relief map makes planning and understanding a route useless. And for icing on the cake Bing has an inability to work properly on iOS devices. IMO, Bing Maps is about 3 years behind the tech curve, which seems typical of Microsoft.

* I use bing to access it's one good feature, birds eye.

RonC

ZGOZZ Macman
I thought I read that Microsoft is Discontinuing there maps?

Last edited:

kimrey

Facebook is fast becoming the voiceless outlet of the people, isn't it? Instead of joining this group, I went out to the street and pulled up a manhole cover and yelled down how much I didn't like the new maps. After that, I wrote a note, set it on fire, and did an ancient Sioux dance around the small fire. I think all 3 of these actions probably carry as much weight in getting Google maps back. I may be cynical.
Maybe we should all start mapping our routes to spell out BING SUCKS.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you go to maps.bing.com, the maps they have on there are different looking than the older looking Bing maps which Garmin Connect is using. What this means, I don't know.

Microsoft should concentrate their time on more useful things like Terrain view and not give us the iterations of the same road maps 3 times.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy crap, their Bird's Eye view is much improved now. It used to be just 2 levels of zoom, but now you have multiple levels of zoom. Panning and rotation seems somewhat smoother than before.

I hope Garmin Connect starts using this.

Last edited:

Glancing Aft

For those with Google Chrome. There's an extension you can download to switch garmin connect back to google maps.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/fbeiifjiimghhaijicmdphhpockpbldc

I installed this a few days ago and it's been working great for me. I just wish he could get it working in the explore page.

I also have been playing around with this extension some. It let's you easily export from within garmin connect to their site and gives you some great data that you used to be able to get back in the motionbased days,
http://www.sportietech.com/ChromeExtension/#install

jayres6

ride with GPS

I just came across this site, http://ridewithgps.com/ it looks pretty cool.
Anyone use this site?.
I might try it instead of Garmin Connect.

I have used it and it is cool. However, most garmin users use garmin connect, so there are way more rides on there than anywhere else. and now that you can search the map by area and filter on ride type, it's really easy to find rides in a given area (awsome if you are going on vacation and don't know exactly where to ride).

I think the more GPS sites there are, the more annoying it is becasue you have to search them all to find what you are looking for. Between MapMyRide, GC, and RWGPS, I find myself searching all of them if I'm looking for a ride.

It would be nice if they would share databases, but I know that kind of defeats the point of competition in a market space...

Top Bottom