Slate Valley Trails, POULTNEY VT

I'm heading up to that area on Memorial Day wknd. Let me know when you'll be there.

Mary and I like to stay in Manchester, it's about 45 min away but Manchester is a nice town with restaurant options and things Mary likes to do. Also, the Dorset trails are about 20 minutes from there.

We've stayed at the Aspen, which is a clean old time motor lodge.
We'll be in Manchester for a few days after Memorial Day. Not sure which days yet, though.

Heading up this weekend - will ride both Fairgrounds and Endless. Any suggestions on which to hit first? I've only ridden Fairgrounds...

Endless seems to be a smaller area, but there is some tech there. Climbs are mostly switchbacks. Parking area at the trailhead up the road is pretty small. The lot at the country club is bigger. I saw a bear while riding Endless last time I was there. When I rode with the local group ride the next day, I mentioned the sighting and they were all like "really, never seen a bear around here"

Heading up this weekend - will ride both Fairgrounds and Endless. Any suggestions on which to hit first? I've only ridden Fairgrounds...

Both in 1 day? Or 2 days. Having done the first I highly recommend against eating that whole park in 1 ride. It becomes too much.

Endless is better IMO. This is kind of a highlight loop:

If you want to add more, at the top you can do Harry's Hop. I found that trail ok. Not really a must-do. Dwight's Drop, Upper & Lower Birdie - these are both required. Then take Porcupine back and when you get to the top before you drop back to the car, you get a great spot to sit and take in the view. Last time we were there I think maybe the world was on fire and everything was smokey, but not sure I am remembering right.

Going back down to the car, we skip Hunker Down as that is a tad above the group's pay grade. Some people enjoy it but at the end of the ride, make sure you have your game face on if you do hit that. We do Hi Roller instead. That trail fits the vibe of the loop. Hunker Down earns the black rating.

We have never done Hardy's Hill. So I can't speak to that. Locals tell us it's meh, so we have skipped it.

Good luck! I am jealous!

Thanks @Norm and @JDurk - appreciate the input! We are doing it in 2 days - one spot each day. I'll have to see what loop I have for Endless - I may have yours Norm...I am repeating the one @JDurk /I did a few summers ago.

Got up to SVT just after lunch. Lucked out with parking at the small lot at Endless. Did Norm’s posted loop and some. Good stuff. Wanted to check out Hunker Down but know hubby would not be happy.

Hit Poultney Pub after. Delish food and VMBA discount!

Fairgrounds tomorrow.

Day 2 did not disappoint. Did not ride trails behind parking area…still curious about those.

Since the Poultney Pub is closed on Sundays we hit Manchester on our way out to eat. Ironically, When i lived in VT never went…nice town with food choices. Definitely nicer than Rutland.

Day 2 did not disappoint. Did not ride trails behind parking area…still curious about those.

Since the Poultney Pub is closed on Sundays we hit Manchester on our way out to eat. Ironically, When i lived in VT never went…nice town with food choices. Definitely nicer than Rutland.
Better than Rut-Vegas?!?!?!

Better than Rut-Vegas?!?!?!
LOL - I never heard it called that. I did some work in Rutland when I lived in VT - granted it was early 2000s. I didn't remember it to be so...well...you get the idea. We usually just pass through it/maybe hit Pine Hill. Now I can say it's a good through town.

LOL - I never heard it called that. I did some work in Rutland when I lived in VT - granted it was early 2000s. I didn't remember it to be so...well...you get the idea. We usually just pass through it/maybe hit Pine Hill. Now I can say it's a good through town.
It's kind of a tongue-in-cheek nickname my ski house friends always called it.

First heard it referred to as Rut-Vegas in the mid 90’s. Used to spend a lot of time at the Center Street Saloon. 😁

Back
Top Bottom